Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by the delightful girls at The Broke and the Bookish. This weeks Top Ten is all about Ten Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don’t Get or Ten Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike. Honestly, there are so many, but anyway. (P.S. This is my first time taking part in Top Ten Tuesday, so I’m rather excited.)
First off, really, I’ll start with:
- Jem Carstairs from The Infernal Devices: I’m sorry, I really am, but I just don’t like him. So many people do, and it’s baffling to me, but each to their own I suppose. I can see why he’s popular, I suppose. But in my honest opinion, he’s the polar opposite to Will. Boring, doesn’t speak up, bland, uninteresting. Yes, he’s ill, but that doesn’t excuse him. Maybe my reasons aren’t valid enough, but it’s enough to annoy me whenever I had to read his scenes. I guess I could have skipped but…no. That wasn’t an option. Haha.
2) Chaol Westfall from Throne of Glass series: Now, I’m sure he’s got a great physique, but I’d like more than that. Brains, perhaps some personality, would be nice. From what I read of him in the first book, he didn’t seem to have either. Sure, he had his moments but to be honest I kept on waiting for someone to kill him. Not that he couldn’t have beaten his way out of the biggest paper bag possible, but still….I was hopeful. And then Crown of Midnight came along and he was in it MORE and this killed me. I know he wasn’t the point of the story, but his presence alone was annoying.
3) Cress from The Lunar Chronicles: I thought Levana was the only one that was going to drive me batty in this series. Then along came this girl, one who I thought might be strong, fun, slightly unhinged maybe but overall a decent person. Cress was no such thing to me. It might have been because she was all over Thorne from the get go, but I just couldn’t handle this insipid creature that thought she should have been the sole focus of Thorne’s life. No. Also, her complaining all the time about Thorne not loving her like she loved him, and I mean…this was after a day. She had this whole image set up about him. I just wanted her to buck up her ideas and grow a pair (of brain cells, despite being a computer genius.) lol. She drove me nuts.
4) Percy Jackson from Percy Jackson and the Olympians: What? Why are you giving the evil eye? I must clarify, I don’t hate Percy. I just don’t…I guess I don’t get what the fuss is. There are many other characters I prefer in this series. I enjoyed this series but I must admit, not as much as the Heroes of Olympus series. ( I haven’t read the last book yet, though.) Percy, to me, was whiny, stupid sometimes, and despite the fact he was practically the ‘chosen one’, boring. I didn’t really feel any connection to him, no dedication. If he’d gotten killed, I probably wouldn’t have minded apart from the fact he was apparently the main character. I know, it sucks, but there you have it.
5) Adam Kent from the Shatter Me trilogy: When I read the first book, I really liked Adam, but then Warner came into it and I gradually found myself not liking Adam. Especially in Ignite Me, though the dislike actually started in Unravel Me. He got possessive, controlling, and just plain irritating. I know a lot of people like Warner, but many also love Adam, and I can’t. I reread this series not that long ago and I disliked Adam that much more.
6) Alec Lightwood from the Mortal Instruments: I guess I can’t say I dislike him so much, but he was one that was more of an irritation than anything. Alec was one of those characters that couldn’t do ‘grumpy’ in an appealing way, not like, say Will from TID could. No, Alec was moody and whiny, seemed far too stuck up for his own good, and though I could, for the most part, deal with it, he grew to be one character I wouldn’t mind seeing die in a fire. And then when that thing happened with Magnus in book 6…You know what I’m talking about. One word: idiot.
7) Jacob Black from the Twilight saga: This is one of those old school debates. Team Edward or Team Jacob. I was always, from the beginning, team Edward. I know, it sounds petty now but I still hold a small candle for him despite his faults. Jacob, however, I had a love hate relationship with. I really couldn’t stand him in the first two books, and though the actor (Taylor Lautner) wasn’t too bad, (I didn’t find him attractive, but that’s not to say he isn’t) I just wanted him gone. It’s fair to say I still wish he hadn’t gotten involved. Damn love triangles. They’re so stupid sometimes. *grumble grumble*
8) Peeta Mellark from The Hunger Games trilogy: Girls, girls, calm down. I know you love him. But I’ve always been a Gale fan. I know it’s another old school debate, but I must explain. I don’t care what your excuses are about Gale not being a good guy *la la la la I’m not listening!* From the get go Peeta annoyed me. (In the books. Movie Peeta was seriously a LOT better…grrr). Gale got sidelined for this idiot? Jeez. Suddenly Peeta was the man, despite Gale having been Katniss’s best friend for YEARS! WHAT THE HELL, GIRL?! Anyway, whenever he was mentioned, I wanted to cry, scream, rip the pages. I guess I could understand why he’s appealing, but no…no I can’t. I hate that the movies made me feel something for Peeta. Had nothing to do with the actor, but the acting…the portrayal…damn you Josh.
9) Four (Tobias Eaten) from Divergent trilogy: I thought I’d like him. For the most part I did, but then came Allegiant. Man, did he WHINE! Also, I don’t like the guy playing him in the films, so that kind of amps up my dislike for the character as a whole. Tobias was one annoying guy, and really, I can’t say why without spoiling the last book, and wow we wouldn’t want that, would we? So please, just take my word for it that I have my reasons.
10) Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter series: Basically, all of them. All the books. I disliked Ginny from the very beginning, but it wasn’t until the fifth/sixth book that she REALLY got on my nerves. She was just always THERE. Also, again, the portrayal of her in the films was abysmal and doesn’t help my dislike. I don’t think I realised how much she annoyed me until she got with Harry. UGH.
So there you have it. 10 characters that I don’t like but other people seemingly do. This has been one interesting post to create, and I look forward to doing next weeks. 🙂 Let me know if there are any characters that you don’t like, and/or if you agree with any of my choices.
Please follow and like us: